THE MUSEUM FROM 1945 to 1984
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE MUSEUM 1945 to 1984
Svein Vold, Heiberg’s assistant, took over as museum director in 1945 and ran the museum until 1980. Vold quickly realized that there was no room for growth and development for the museum at Amla, and he launched the visionary idea of moving the museum to a new location. In the 1970s the first buildings were moved to its present location at Vestreim. In 1981 the museum with its new main exhibition building was opened for the public. It was officially opened by king Olav V in 1984.
Outside the main premises, there is also Sogn Fjord Museum down by the fjord at Kaupanger. The museum also owns some smaller facilities in their original locations, the property Elvhaug in Sogndal, the smallholding Eidet, Stedje mill and the Tingastad sawmill.