The history of the museum
The Heiberg Collections – Sogn Folk Museum
started with the collector activities of Gert Falch Heiberg, one of the prominent museum pioneers in the country. He established the museum in 1909 when he donated his private collection of antiques from Sogn to the newly established historical society for Sogn. Today the museum is owned by a foundation with the same name as the museum. This foundation also owns the Norwegian Travel Museum in Balestrand. Both museums are run by the Museums of Sogn og Fjordane, a consolidated museum that also includes the Sunnfjord Museum, the Nordfjord Folk Museum, the Coastal Museum of Sogn og Fjordane, as well as the Sogn og Fjordane Art Museum.
The Sogn Folk Museum grew up on a separate part of the Heiberg property at Amla. In addition to the many antiquarian buildings that were rebuilt there, two large exhibition halls were also erected. The museum obtained a status as having the largest collection of farm implements and tools in the country. In the 1970s the process was started to move the buildings and the collections to new premises at Kaupangerskogen between Kaupanger and Sogndal.
A new exhibition hall was taken into use in 1980, and today most buildings and object collections have been moved to the new museum location.
A new cultural landscape has been developed and maintained through traditional farming methods.
In 1990 the collection of boats, fishing gear and other objects linked to the fjord culture became a separate section – the Sogn Fjord Museum – located by the old ferry quay at Kaupanger.
In 2007 the Norwegian Travel Museum in Balestrand became a part of The Heiberg Collections – Sogn Folk Museum, and from 2009 The Heiberg Collections has become a part of the organization The Museums of Sogn og Fjordane.