THE HENJASAND CLUSTER OF HOUSES
This sea-crofter's place was located by the fjord at Hermansverk in Leikanger as one of several smallholdings under the farm Henjum. The siblings Kari and Anders Henjesand were the last occupants of the cottage until 1974 and 1980 respectively.
The people at Henjasanden were crofters and farmers. In addition to farming, Anders worked as a cooper, and Kari worked at the local juice and berry factory. The museum took over all the houses with furniture and movables, which means that this is now an authentic home.
The cottage stands on a massive foundation wall with a cellar. It has a hall, a bedchamber, and living room with a staircase up to the semi-loft. In front of the entrance door, there is a utility house with an open fireplace and chimney.
The exact age of the cottage is uncertain, but the year 1784 is carved into the crossbeam. The "Ijore" (smoke vent) in the ceiling indicates that the cottage originally had a smoke stove. Now we find an iron stove, and an electric cooker installed in the 1960s. The living room walls are decorated with family photos and quotes from the Bible. Clothes hang over chairs and there are newspapers and radio, but no television set. Nor did they have tap water indoors.
The cowshed has stonewalls on three sides and a timber wall. At times they had as many as four cows, 18 sheep and one pig. Above the cowshed is the barn, with a threshing room in the middle and storage rooms for hay and grain on either side. The boathouse is timbered.
Later on an upper floor was added as a storage room for barrel staves, and then the whole boathouse was weather boarded. In the firewood shed there is a lavatory with a two-seater.
from the audioguide:
listen to Kari Henjesand: