museum history

Svein Vold's Museum

Sogn Fjord Museum

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE MUSEUM 1945 to 1984

Svein Vold, Heiberg’s assistant, took over as museum director in 1945 and ran the museum until 1980. Vold quickly realized that there was no room for growth and development for the museum at Amla, and he launched the visionary idea of moving the museum to a new location. In the 1970s the first buildings were moved to its present location at Vestreim. In 1981 the museum with its new main exhibition building was opened for the public. It was officially opened by king Olav V in 1984.

Gjert Falch Heiberg's Museum

The old museum

BRIEF HISTORY OF THE MUSEUM

The Heiberg Collections – Sogn Folk Museum is named after its founder, Gert Falch Heiberg (1871-1944). He was a landowner at Amla in Kaupanger as well as an ardent collector. Around 1900 he started to collect rural antiques from Sogn and farm implements from all over Norway.
This collection proved to be the start of a life’s work of collections and a folk museum in Sogn.

This took place at the same time as Hans Aall founded the Norwegian Folk Museum at Bygdøy near Oslo and Anders Sandvig founded the Sandvig Collections at Maihaugen in Lillehammer.

Subscribe to RSS - museum history